Matt and I saw this cruise itinerary that we really loved about a year and a half in advance. It was cheap, so we booked it. Then we decided to take advantage of the fact we’d be leaving from San Juan, and take a side trip to Vieques, which I’d wanted to see since I learned about the bioluminescent bay there.
Our cruise was great, despite some seasickness, and Matt celebrated his birthday in St Lucia. I got to see some things I’d always wanted to, like the Pitons and Maho Beach in St Maarten, where the giant planes come in right over your head. And then we went to Vieques, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I can’t wait to go back.
(The entire photoset is here on Flickr.)
Read from the beginning below, or jump to each day:
- Fri 2/21: A Nearly-Miraculous Escape to San Juan
- Sat 2/22: Revisiting the Cats of San Juan (and boarding the ship)
- Sun 2/23: Seasickness is No Joke – Day at Sea
- Mon 2/24: Pon di Beach in Barbados
- Tue 2/25: Matt’s Birthday with the Pitons in St Lucia
- Wed 2/26: Hangin’ with Admiral Nelson in Antigua
- Thu 2/27: Low-flying Planes in St Maarten
- Fri 2/28: Secluded Beaches and Local Beer in St John, USVI
- Sat 3/1: From a Giant Ship to a Tiny Plane (and a Hacienda!)
- Sun 3/2: Wherein I Fall in Love with Vieques
- Mon 3/3: Kayaking the Bioluminescent Bay in Vieques
- Tue 3/4: That Time United Forgot to Supply Pilots (Going Home)