We went to the Minnesota Zoo amphitheater for the first time last night, to see Cherry Poppin’ Daddies and Buckwheat Zydeco. Observations:
1) The amphitheater is awesome. Way smaller than I was expecting.
2) We were some of the youngest people there. It was pretty easy to tell who was there for which band.
3) I saw a pregnant lady hiking up her skirt and pelvic-thrusting at the stage. And parents trashed around their kids.
4) Buckwheat Zydeco got over 1,000 Minnesotans on their feet, many of them dancing. That’s a monumental task.
5) Both bands were amazing.
6) I got to sit and watch loons swimming around the lake in between sets. (Nature is always a novelty.)
7) I really want to play the washboard. And the jazz organ. And the accordian.
Walking through the zoo, we both realized we hadn’t been there in years. In fact, the last time I was there it was the first 3-Day I walked with Wendy (2006, I think?), and we started at the zoo. For the life of me, I can’t even recall where opening ceremonies took place; I just remember walking through the zoo, and crying because our friends had gotten there at something like 6am to hold up a sign for us and cheer. AWESOME.
Anyway. “Go to the zoo” is now on my 101 in 1001 days list. Which I will post here tomorrow!