1. What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before?
Crossed the equator and the international date line
Became a Certified Travel Associate
Bought a hybrid vehicle
Had to abide by a shelter-in-place order like most of the world
Voted by mail
Witnessed rioting and organized white supremacist terrorism in Minneapolis and then the rest of the country
Converted Three Seas Travel into an LLC
Camped at Bahia Honda
Did a wine tasting tour
Bought a rowing machine
Had masks crafted by our most famous drag queen
Went to a wedding on a boat (thanks, Alison and Gabe!)
Rented houses with private pools for a COVID-cation
Flew international business class (lie-flat pods are THE BEST)
Had a travel supplier I was working with go bankrupt
Had a COVID test
Saw penguins in the wild
Watched sports ‘in the bubble’ with no fans
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
My New Year’s resolution was to floss. I’m an achiever! I think I’ll probably make some real ones for 2021, because inspiration is good.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, or if you did it was really sneaky.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
New Zealand and Australia. We should’ve been to the UK this year, too, but the ‘rona had other plans.
6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?
Not to have another pandemic year. That would be GREAT, thanks.
7. What date from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day we arrived in New Zealand. It took more than an entire day of flying to get there, and it was worth it!
The last night of trivia before our social distancing began.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being debt-free, and investing a lot of money. Also getting my CTA certification. That test was so intimidating.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I had a LOT of free time this year that I could’ve spent doing something productively amazing. However, as we all know, getting through this is pretty much the only thing that matters.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got a sinus infection, and that fever made for a few nerve-wracking days.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Salt water kit for the hot tub
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Locals during the pandemic. Key West is such an amazing, supportive community.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
All of our national and state leadership #idiocracy
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our trip to New Zealand! God, it was so amazing.
16. What song will always remind you of 2020?
Mountain Goats: (I’m gonna make it through) This Year (if it kills me)
Dua Lipa: Boys Will be Boys
That mash-up of WAP and the Jeopardy theme song
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Fatter or thinner: fatter (thanks, COVID)
b) Richer or poorer: richer (thanks, COVID)
c) Happier or less happy: less happy (thanks, COVID). Feeling infinitely more hopeful, though.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise during lockdown. At least we did a lot of yoga?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Social distancing. I mean, I’m glad we did because we didn’t get COVID. But I wish we didn’t have to. Remember hugging?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We had a big dinner for just the two of us on Christmas eve (and talked to Matt’s parents), then a small dinner on Christmas (and talked to my family). Then we hung out with John and Elaine in their hot tub.
21. Did you fall in love in 2020?
I am in love in 2020.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nazis. Wait, I hated Nazis last year too.
24. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t read a single damn book this year. I generally only read on airplanes.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2020?
26. What did you want and get?
A raise, lots of new plants, a hybrid car
27. What did you want and not get?
This was not a year for self-denial. I guess I wanted to travel a lot more.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Palm Springs, though the Eurovision movie is a close second. My favorite film experience was watching a documentary about the first production of Rent in Cuba, on the lawn at the Hemingway house during the very-different-than-usual Key West Film festival.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nothing much, since there was nowhere to go! I talked to a lot of friends and family. I’m 47 now. OLD.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having a global pandemic, not living in a totally broken country
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020?
It’s the always-popular “I’ve worked from home for 5 years” look.
32. What kept you sane?
Yoga, Matt, friends, my garden, being outdoors, spending time at Nancy Forrester’s every weekend
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Ending fascism, #BLM, ending willful ignorance and science-denial in government
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
…I don’t think I met anyone new this year!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2020:
Be prepared for anything. Nobody saw this pandemic coming, and I’m glad we were in the best possible position to weather it.