1. What did you do in 2019 that you’d never done before?
Was in the Fantasy Fest parade
Took our working-from-home on the road and spent a week-plus working from Miami
Started volunteering with the parrots at Nancy Forrester’s Secret Garden
Quit giving money to Amazon (and Amazon-owned companies like Whole Foods, Woot etc)
Did successful target training with Roy
Chartered a boat in the BVI to take us to all the famous beach bars like Soggy Dollar
Had bananas from our trees in the yard
Had a sleeper cabin on an overnight train
Rode in a ridiculous bright green stretch Hummer limo
Went on a Chicago River architecture tour
Had tennis elbow (and cured it, thanks to my awesome physical therapists!)
Got a fancy adjustable bed
Went to a game at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Wiped a Windows machine, installed Linux and learned how to use it
Went to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island
Had a massive black pepper harvest from the garden
Visited a red sand beach
Went on a tiki boat
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
In 2019 I resolved to:
- Put $10,000 in our mid-range investment fund – DONE
- Lose 25 pounds – 10 is almost 25, right? Maybe not.
- Get a new tattoo – NOPE
- Market group travel more so I can organize a group trip – DONE
I’m not sure about 2020 goals yet! I have to think.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Carol. I miss her so much.
5. What countries did you visit?
St Maarten/St Martin, British Virgin Islands. Also some previously un-visited Canadian provinces, like Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick.
6. What would you like to have in 2020 that you lacked in 2019?
No neck/shoulder/arm problems. I can do this by keeping up on my PT stretches (it’s going well so far).
7. What date from 2019 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
All of our time in Las Vegas for Matt’s birthday with friends. It was spectacular.
The Ocean Train
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding free business class tickets to New Zealand. I worked on that for months!
Installing my automatic irrigation system
Various travel-agent related things… I’m really happy with my 2nd job!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not exercising enough. Though we started lifting regularly and I love it!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Tennis elbow, which is really a symptom of my neck injury. My PT was successful, though! I also crashed my bike and sprained my ribs and arm, which is nightmarishly painful and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our cruise on Celebrity Edge
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone who stepped up to help the devastated parts of the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian. The Keys’ response was inspiring.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Our elected leaders
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Travel and planning other people’s travel!
16. What song will always remind you of 2019?
Old Town Road. THANKS A LOT, MATT.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Fatter or thinner: Marginally thinner
b) Richer or poorer: Richer
c) Happier or less happy: Happier
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleeping. I have very bad insomnia sometimes.
Kayaking/swimming in the ocean. We did a great job of pool-hopping in town, though.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being in pain. It clouds everything.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my in-laws’ in Watertown, SD, and then we had a late Christmas with my family (including the part of the family from Orlando) in Minneapolis.
21. Did you fall in love in 2019?
I *am* in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Letterkenny. Oh god, I love Letterkenny so much.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
We Fed an Island by Jose Andres. I need to read more, since I pretty much only read on planes.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2019?
Lizzo’s latest album
26. What did you want and get?
For PT to work, and to not be in pain (and to be able to do my usual activities). Pretty much any travel I wanted. We have some awesome upcoming trips, like New Zealand and a transatlantic cruise.
27. What did you want and not get?
I can’t think of anything…
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We did an escape room and sunset cruise. I’m 46 now! OLD.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having an white supremacist with the intellect of a 6-year-old in charge of my country.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2019?
32. What kept you sane?
Matt, gardening, riding my bike
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chef Jose Andres is a hero.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The fact that our planet is on fire and we’re willfully making it worse. I would hate to be a parent and have to think about the kind of world my kids will live in.
35. Who did you miss?
Carol. All the time.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Nancy Forrester, John and Elaine
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2019:
It’s good to be reminded of why you made a commitment in the first place, even when the reminder is painful.